Monday 14 February 2011

Valentine cookies....



Apparently the Danes do not, traditionally, celebrate Valentine's day. The Danish goddess of love and fertility, Freyja, indulged less in romance or dreams of being swept off her feet and was instead covetous of material possessions and as a liberal and determined woman used the lustful desires of men for her own ends. The legend is a long story but I think you get the idea...

That being said, the florists on the streets of Copenhagen are still cashing in and red roses are in abundance. Say what you like, I am a romantic at heart and I love the thrill of receiving Valentine's day flowers.



I couldn't resist a bit of Valentines' day baking either and my son and I made heart shaped cookies (together with a few dinosaurs that somehow made their way onto the baking sheet).

These were very simple to make: softened butter mixed with caster sugar and orange zest, add a beaten egg and gradually mix in the flour and cornflour. Mix to a dough and then place in the fridge in cling film for 30 minutes.



Whilst they were baking, I wondered how I could make them more appealing to my valentine. Anybody who knows him will tell you that in his eyes baking that doesn't include chocolate doesn't count...



While the cookies were still hot I reached for the chocolate chips and sandwiched them between the biscuits. The chocolate melted and spread sealing the cookies together. Yummy.


After dinner I told my son about Valentine's day and gave him a cookie and a kiss. He decided to give his little sister a dinosaur biscuit and then told me that he was going to marry her when he grew up. I think he gets it....!?

No comments:

Post a Comment