Thursday 13 January 2011

Stove top fruit crumble

Everyone knows that spirits are lifted when stewed fruit is simmering on the stove and this recipe is a very simple and hearty winter warmer.



Unlike other fruit crumbles, this one is cooked in one pan on the stove top and takes no time at all. There's simply no baking involved and that's why its been a highlight of my week and I have to share it with you.



You can use any fruit but I chose apples and pears. The pears were only just ripe and therefore they didn't turn to mush when I stewed them.

First make the crumble: put 125g of plain flour in a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and the grated rind of an orange. The orange zest gives the topping a delicious depth of flavour. Work 60g of butter through the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. When it is all combined, add 60g of brown sugar (I used light muscovado), stir it through and place the bowl in the freezer for about 20 minutes.


Meanwhile peel, core and chop the apples (and pears, if using them). Melt 30g of butter in a sauce pan and add the fruit. Keep stirring and cook for about 15 minutes until the fruit softens. Then add a sprinkling of brown sugar and a tsp of honey and cook for a couple more minutes with the heat turned up.



I added sultanas too because my little boy loves them! Place the fruit in warmed dishes - either a serving bowl or individual bowls.

Take the crumble mixture from the freezer and place it in the saucepan and gently cook for about 3-4 minutes until golden then spoon it over the fruit. So simple and yet so tasty. I first came across a version of this recipe on a freebie recipe card in Sainsbury's - those supermarket giveaways are not to be sniffed at! I tend to use them for inspiration and then add my own twists and tweaks until I have a dish I like.





No comments:

Post a Comment